boot

From: Naside Ozer (naside@istanbul.edu.tr)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 11:57:15 EST

Hi,

 I need to prepare a Mandrake boot diskette. Life stopped here. And like
 all I have to finish something and this happened. Linux Mandrake 6.13
 something like that. I do not remember the number/version even. I would
 appreciated your help. with best wishes.

 Naside

I did prepare a boot diskette getting the files from another server and

with the command of

dd if=vmlinuz of=/dev/fdo bs=1440k

at /boot directory of

Linux Mandrake release 6.1 (Helios)
Kernel 2.2.13-7mdksmp on an i686.

My machine is 586. dual pentium. and I do not remember the kernel. It
is stupid but so...

Anyway my guy says when I want to boot it
from floopy

VFS:can not open root device 08:04
Kernel panic:VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:04

Could you please help.(more info: I had scsi hard disk and loaded WinNT
and linux version. Then I had bid IDE hard disk and I did install
Mandrake to the half of 15GB new HD. the other part attached to NT. Then
my booting was from C and mandrake was running. mandrake see all otlers
old linux and dos(NT). When I want to run old linuux and NT I had to
boot(from BIOS) from SCSI. But old linux can not see mandrake. )

I would be thankful, if there exists any chance to open this guy without
spending days and days.. I did already spent one...best wishes

I did try
dd if=floppyfw-current.img of=/dev/fd0

and he says
Could not find kernel image:/