Re: recent names_cachep change

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 15:26:34 EST

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:

> Not my patch. Yes, such scenarios are possible. I'll try to look through
> that stuff, but it certainly looks like namecache_init() must be moved to
> the group of explicit cache initializations (in kernel/main.c). Linus,
> your opinion?

I'd prefer not to. I don't see why anybody has the right to do name
lookups before the filesystems have initialized etc.

There was a bug in the USB code that has since been fixed that could cause
it to try to execute /sbin/hotplug before user space existed, and that
could cause the oops Tigran saw. I don't know of any other such case.

                Linus