Re: 2.4.0-test4 Out Of Memory ?!

From: srwalter@yahoo.com
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 13:19:45 EST

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 11:15:24PM -0500, Justin C. Ferguson wrote:

> In part of my mission to figure out where the heck some of the memory
> problems I've been having are coming from, I compiled a 2.4.0-test4 kernel
> tonight. (Actually, I've compiled a lot of kernels tonight. But 2.4.0
> was the only one where I saw this problem.) I did the usual, ran lilo,
> and rebooted, and got:
>
> Uncompressing linux...
> Booting linux...
>
> Out of memory
>
> -- System halted.
>
> This is all I ever get when I try to boot this kernel. The machine
> has 224M of memory in it, so somehow I doubt it's out of memory.
>
> Machine specs: AMD K6-2/450, Asus P5A Motherboard, 128M memory, sym53c8xx
> SCSI card, booting off an IDE hard drive, running SuSE 6.2.
>
> The memory in the system is brand new, I bought it because I'd been having some
> weird memory problems under 2.2.x, and I just figured it was bad memory.
> (Getting bus errors in netscape whenever it's memory spikes, if I try to create
> a large image in gimp, gimp crashes, SIGILLs and SIGBUSes while compiling
> large apps.) I'm seeing the exact same behavior with the new memory, however,
> so I started looking for other causes. Anyone have suggestions? I've also
> attached my kernel config below.

Are you using a zImage or a bzImage? I used to get this with a zImage
on the linux-2.4.0-testX series. I have an AMD-K6/2 500MHz with 64MB on
a PC-Chips mobo. I can boot a bzImage of test5-pre6.

--
Steven Walter
<srwalter@yahoo.com>

I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day because that means it's going to be up all night. -- Stephen Wright