Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 11:18:16 EST

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Linus,
>
> I'm talking about kernel modules. Like the external PCMCIA
> package; remember? The one which you recommended distro's should use
> because the 2.4 PCMCIA code wasn't quite up to snuff yet.

Oh.

Ok. That one I've actually never had any problems with, even though _I_
haven't used /usr/src/linux in a long time.

I think it asks the user where the kernel tree is when it does its
configuration. It's not the only question either, so it doesn't sound like
a problem (maybe it _defaults_ to /usr/src/linux, and that may be fine:
it's likely to be the kernel the distribution came with, so..

> It would be nice, however, if there was a painless way to
> compile such external kernel modules so they easily work with whatever
> kernels happens to be on the machine.

You're right, right now kernel modules need some way of specifying where
the kernel is. I've always just had a define at the top of a makefile that
the user actually had to edit by hand (this was how early USB-development
was done, for example). Not very pretty, I guess. But at least it doesn't
screw the "normal" user packages.

                Linus