Kernel 2.2.14 - IP forwarding problem

From: kevin (kevin.s@taligent.net)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 02:36:49 EST

Hello,

I am using redhat linux 6.2/6.1 and having some major
trouble getting ip forwarding functioning for ipchains.

This is for a firewall. I want to route directly initially
before trying masquarading.

I have enabled in /etc/sysctl.conf ip forwarding or in
/etc/sysconfig/network

(Appreciate this list is not really for this type of problem
but couldn't get anywhere on ip chains mailing list)

Following script is used

ipchains -F
ipchains -A input -i lo -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A output -i lo -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A input -i eth0 -s first_host_ip -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A output -i eth0 -d first_host_ip -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A input -i eth1 -s second_host_ip -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A output -i eth1 -s second_host_ip -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A forward -i eth1 -s first_host_ip -d second_host_ip -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A forward -i eth0 -s second_host_ip -d first_host_ip -j ACCEPT

This general script should forward traffic between NIC1 and NIC2
so I believe. I can block specific traffic/protocols/ip's etc on each NIC
and have added things like "-p all" and removed default deny policy
etc to lines but can't forward.

I think it's a routing problem.

Does the IP forwarding/routing in kernel 2.2.14 require IP masquarade
used through ipchains to function?

Or should it route non-masq'd with no trouble?

Help appreciatted

Kevin