Re: 2.4 status page, lightly updated

From: Peter Enderborg (pme@ufh.se)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 10:48:32 EST

tytso@mit.edu wrote:

> Fixed
> -----
>
> Loopback fs hangs

Sorry to say this. But the fs loopback is not fixed, or this some other bug fixed but than i
have shown before.
This an example. This kills my 2.4.0test5 system, an Intel PII SMP box. Im out of the office
so I
can only verfiy that i still exist on my machine.

This work is 2.2.14, but test[2-5] systems stops running without
any messages.

Create an big image.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/someware/dosfs.img bs=64k count=10000

Create an msdos filesystem on the image. (Im using dosfstools-2.4)
I have also done this with ext2 and get the same results.

msdosfs /somewhere/dosfs.img

Mount it.

mount -o loop /somewhere/dosfs.img /mnt/mymountpoint

Do the bad thing...

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/mymountpoint/bigfile.foo bs=64k

Wait....
After a while the system can not create process and dies.
A difference with 2.4.0test4 is that the filesystem is less corrupted with test5. And sync
command
not complete during the dd on the loopback device.