Re: SCSI strangenesses...

From: Gérard Roudier (groudier@club-internet.fr)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 15:46:49 EST

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Francis Galiegue wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Gérard Roudier wrote:
>

> > > The problem is with the DVD drive and CD writer. When I query the SCSI utility
> > > at boot about these two drives' capabilitites, it says that none of them
> > > support wide negociation or TCQ. By default, though, these settings were
> > > enabled on both. The DVD drive worked, but not the CD writer.
> >
> > In theory at least, the [sym|ncr]53c8xx drivers donnot initiate Wide
> > negotiations neither use tags with a device if they haven't seen these
> > features reported by the device in the INQUIRY response. The fact that one
> > device works and the other fails seems strange too.
> >

> Does this mean that it does not try and disable wide negociation for a drive
> and assume that it is off by default (same for TCQ)?

Disabling wide negotiation is what user may want. The driver should not
initiate a wide data transfer negotiation if it has been told by user
(from setup) or by device (from INQUIRY response) that this feature is not
desired/supported.

> > > I then disabled these two settings by hand, and my CD writer worked... My
> > > questions are the following:
> >
> > Mine could be::-)
> >
> > 1. Why did you disable the both settings at the same time instead of one
> > at a time ?
>
> I wanted to have it work ;) Config is not here but @home, I'll try and disable
> one at a time this WE and report - if you're interested. Also, I haven't tried
> direct CD to CD copy with wide neg on for the DVD...
>
> > 2. What 'hand' did you use to disable the feature ? (could be either the
> > NVRAM setup, the boot command line, ...)
> >

> I used the SCSI card utility setup, so I guess that's the NVRAM setup?
>
> > Btw, I would prefer to be told about the INQUIRY data the devices actually
> > return. You may use the 'scsiinfo' tool for that.
> >

> I'll do.

Thanks.

> > > 1. how come the SCSI card didn't disable these options automatically, even
> > > though it knew about the drive capabilities?
> >
> > The card has NVRAM (NV=non volatile) that stores the user setup. There is
> > no valuable reasons for the Tekram setup program to prevent user from
> > entering any setup it wishes, in my opinion.
> >

> Fair enough... Bad User, Change User :)

User is allowed to ask the driver that will actually deal with the chip.
Why do you want the SETUP program to disallow user to ask ?

> > For now, you may try to enable some debug traces in the driver, starting
> > with the following (boot command line):
> >
> > sym53c8xx=debug:0x200,verb:2
> >
> > The debug flag will tells the driver to print out all negotiation messages
> > and resulting parameter's value.
> >

> OK, will do. Full report by Monday. Thank you for your help.

Hmmm... There is a tiny problem here.
I am in vacation until August the 14th and will not read email during this
period. Hopefully, this will allow you to fully diagnose what actually
happens with your devices and provide me with the solution when I will be
back.

Thanks in advance, ;-)

  Gérard.