Re: partitions on loopdev

From: Andries Brouwer (aeb@veritas.com)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 09:26:32 EST

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 05:28:39AM +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> i need to mount partitions in an hdimage file (DOS disklabel).
> is there any chance to do this ? perhaps with the loopdev (define the
> mapping region) ?
> but how to find out where the partitions start and end in a portable way
> ?

Look at the subdirectory partx of a recent util-linux release
such as 2.10m. There are ioctls to tell the kernel where on some
block device the partitions live, so the kernel partition parsing
code is superfluous in principle and can be moved to user space.

(So far this has only a small handful of users that I know of,
and the support is just enough for what is actually used.
If you need more, complain, and things will improve a bit again.)

Andries