Re: VIA IDE driver, v1.5 (final)

From: Matthias Andree (ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 12:11:28 EST

Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz> writes:

> Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough: I don't say you can detect
> bit errors without CRC or that CRC makes them stop happening.

True, but basically, the machine itself does not CRC a block in memory,
but the drive CRC's a block on disk. So if you're having memory trouble,
in most machines it will go unnoticed.

> It's great that it's CRC protected with UDMA, but there shouldn't be bit
> errors anyway. It's running on 5V, after all, and there would have to be
> damn strong noise to cause errors like this.

Memory bits usually flip in DRAM, not in transit.

> So the point I was trying to make is that it is reasonable to lower UDMA
> transfer speed if we see a CRC error on the drive and that we won't end
> with the slowest transfer speed if we run the drive like this for long
> enough time.

If you have repeated CRC errors, halt that damn thing entirely to have
somebody look after the hardware.

--
Matthias Andree

Where do you think you're going today?