Re: Sort of patch: Ethernet driver for National Semiconductor DP83815 for linux-2.2.16

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 20:37:41 EST

Alan,

        Thank you very much for your review of the linux-2.2.16
National Semiconductor dp83815 ethernet driver patch that I received
and forwarded to linux-kernel. I was not aware that Don Becker had
written a driver for this chip, as I did not see any mention of it
on http://www.scyld.com/network/ beyond a hint at documentation
availability problems for a similar sound National Semiconductor
ethernet control ("Note: ISA boards based on the DP83800 are not
supported due to the non-availability of documentation for this chip.").

        If there is already a driver that is going into the kernel,
and it works as reliably as this driver, then I would be just as happy
to see Don's version used. I certainly do not have any pride of
authorship prejudices that would get in the way of this.

        What is important, however, is that some driver for the DP83815
gets integrated into the stock kernels. If you think that my fixing
the problems that you pointed out in the dp83815.c driver that I
was given would help, I will be happy to do this. Please let me know
how I can help to get DP83815 integrated into the stock kernels.

        To that end, I am, for the moment, focussing on the 2.4.0-test5
driver, because I understand Linus wants the cleanest version-specific
network drivers for integration into his kernels. I have a cleaned up
2.4.0-test5 dp8315.c driver running now. I had made changes that
eliminated most of the problems that you spotted in the 2.2.16 version,
although I had somehow missed the {in,out}{l,w,b} wrapper routines,
and I am now thinking about the SMP issues.

        Anyhow, if you think it would be worthwhile, I can try to fix
the 2.2.16 version of the dp83815.c driver, but all that I am concerned
is getting support for the DP83815 into the stock kernels. So, if you
have any advice on how this can most efficiently be achieved, I would
be quite happy to direct my efforts as you think best.

        Thanks again for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback
on that dp83815.c driver.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."