/dev/ttyX not-blocking

From: Edward Muller (edwardam@home.com)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 21:21:21 EST

This probably isn't a kernel issue...but...

I've written a small program that opens a /dev/ttySX device, in blocking mode
(ie. O_RDONLY flag only), when the open call returns, it closes the device and
runs another program. This way I know something was connected to the port and
assuming the deivce is not removed the program called will work.

But...I rebooted my machine today (running 2.2.14 from redhat) and the program
no longer works...

I've searched high and low and can't find an explanation...

Can any of you guys point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

--
...EAM...
edwardam@home.com