HZ needed in userspace, was Re: sysconf (was Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs)

From: bert hubert (ahu@ds9a.nl)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 22:43:22 EST

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 06:16:42PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> I believe I already mentioned that the sysctl (/proc/sys) mechanism is
> the preferred way to export these kinds of data tokens from the
> kernel. /etc/sysconf could refer the file entries in /proc/sys where
> appropriate, or we could have /proc/sys/kernel/sysconf.

I was working on the 2.4 advanced routing & shaping HOWTO, and documenting
the ICMP ratelimiting settings in /proc/sys, and discovered that this
ratelimiting is specified in 'jiffies per packet' - which means that
userspace people need to know HZ in order to configure their kernel
properly.

So userspace *does* need to know HZ, or this interface needs to be rewritten
to use milliseconds, for example.

Regards,

bert hubert