Re: zImage support in test3

From: Kai Schulte (kai@eclipse.asta.uni-essen.de)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 17:21:48 EST

On 30 Jul 2000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > > Is the 0x90000 offset going back in or was it deliberately taken out for
> > > the 2.4test releases just to make more people test bzImage?
> > I think someone was just being careless.
> No, it was quite intentional.

No, changing it for the high_loaded case was intentional, but
removing the assignment in the declaration leaves it uninitialized
for the case

if (free_mem_ptr < 0x100000) setup_normal_output_buffer();

So when I boot a zImage it contains 0, and the first time the
decompression needs to allocate new memory malloc() will say
there's none left - boom.

> This is to keep things from crashing with a
> huge EBDA. THIS IS A VERY NECESSARY CHANGE.

Yes, but initializing it for the "normal" case wouldn't hurt,
would it... ?

Kai