RE: sync: why disk cannot spin down

From: Robert M. Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 22:29:19 EST

Michael Bacarella wrote:
> Why is this even desirable?
>
> Wouldn't you want the drives to just spin forever? I always understood
> that spinning something down and then spinning it back up is what causes
> them to degrade/die. The analogy would be that a car that runs it's engine
> for 10 years straight never needs major repairs, whereas one that is
> turned on, driven, turned off, repeat, will be slowly destroyed.

It is, and you are right. But that is not the goal. He wants to spin them
down and then *keep them spun down.* Thus, an hour a day of driving is
better than driving all day or start/drive/stop all day.

This was his original problem, sync was causing his drives to spin back up,
when he wanted them to stay down.

--
Robert M. Love
rml@tech9.net