Re: (reiserfs) sync: why disk cannot spin down

From: Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 04:01:27 EST

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 12:14:34AM +0200, Xuan Baldauf <baldauf@medium.net> wrote:
> spindown of (IDE) disks. There will be a call to sync() after 32 or less
> seconds have elapsed since the last sync(). Not a problem itself, but
> every sync spins up the disk again.

Which is normal and definitely not reiserfs-dependent.

As for some hint: use "noflushd" (try freshmeat). With that, you don't loose
atime (which is very important for many things, like /tmp cleanup) and your
disks still do not spin up.

I use it on my answering machine, and unless I receive e-mail (fsync ;), or
the memory cache is full (very rare, as i receive lots of e-mail), the disks
stay down.

At night, when I don't route mail to my machine, the disks are usually down
for hours.

You could, of course, just disable atime but that's far worse a solution, as
every write will trigger a spin up.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@opengroup.org |e|