Re: (reiserfs) Re: sync: why disk cannot spin down

From: Xuan Baldauf (xuan--reiserfs@baldauf.org)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 09:47:59 EST

Matthias Andree wrote:

> > > Because you have to issue a drive reset.
> >
> > This is my intent, not to spin up the disk. (In my previous case, sync
> > always spun up the disk because the filesystem was not mounted with
> > "noatime".)
>
> This will still not work, since after some time, the kernel starts
> missing the drive acknowledgements and eventually issues a reset
> condition on that IDE channel. See my other mail for details.

You tell me the kernel starts missing drive ACKs even if there are no read
or write requests pending? Even then, the drive was never in sleep mode
(requires reset), it always was in standby mode (does not require reset). My
primary intent is to reduce the noise of the drive, not the power
consumption.

> --
> Matthias Andree

Xuân. :o)