Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 12:35:48 EST

On 31 Jul 2000, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil (Jesse Pollard) wrote on 27.07.00 in <200007271531.KAA89926@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil>:
>
> > Might I suggest creating a "/lib/include" that works something like
> > the /lib/modules where the kernel name is used to generate the directory
> > for the kernel include files?
> >
> > That way the "uname -r" command could be used to set a symbolic link
> > to point to the correct include files at boot time (or install time).
>
> Correct for what?

I must be able to build kernel modules for a kernel version that I
am not yet running. This is not related in any way to what I get from
`uname -r`. Further, I may be building the kernel for an Alpha on
an Intel machine, using a cross-compiler.

The de-facto standard has been that /usr/src/linux is a sym-link to
the kernel version you wish to build. Why is this expected to be
changed?

Since this is a symbolic link, it can cross device boundaries. This
makes it very versatile.

 /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm are symbolic links, referenced
to /usr/src/linux, not a specific version. This makes changing kernel
development versions a simple change of a single symbolic link.

Why would anybody change this? I fear that this is another of those;
"It doesn't have to be better, only different..." things that have
been going around.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.