Re: outrigger motherboard and i840 locking at PCI Probing

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 12:52:03 EST

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Brian W. Johanson wrote:

> I have a micron clientpro dx5000 dual 733 PIII machine with the i840 pci
> chipset, outrigger motherboard (I believe) and it has onboard sound and
> ethernet.
> I have tried the lastest kernel and the machine locks up at Probing PCI
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This may not be a good idea. Try 2.2.15 or 2.2.16. These are not
development kernels and they do work.

PCI is PCI. Intel was one of those that wrote the rules. It is unlikely
that they would market a bad chip. However, check to see what your
BIOS is doing. If a 33 MHz PCI bus has been set to 66 MHz, all bets
are off.

Also, some BIOS fail to set shared memory correctly on some PCI devices.
For instance, if you have a PCI screen-card with 4 Mb of shared memory, it
must be placed on a 4 Mb boundary. That's the rules. Attempts to access
such devices, that are not properly aligned, will produce address aliases.

This means that when the device-driver accesses its shared RAM, it may
write over important kernel stuff.

If you BIOS is mucking up, there may be an upgrade available since
these things are discovered fairly quickly.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.