Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 17:33:22 EST

In article >8m4tn3$cri$1@cesium.transmeta.com>,
H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
>Followup to: <8m4q9v$871$1@enterprise.cistron.net>
>By author: miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
>In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
>>
>> No. Even Linus himself has been saying for years (and recently even
>> in this thread) that /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm should
>> NOT EVER be symlinks to /usr/src/linux
>>
>> Everything in /usr/include belongs to and depends on glibc, not
>> the currently running kernel.
>
>Unfortunately that doesn't work very well. For user-space daemons
>which talk to Linux-specific kernel interfaces, such as automount, you
>need both the glibc and the Linux kernel headers.

Yes, but you can't mix&match anyway. For stuff like that you're
probably best off by using a talktokernel.c file that is
compiled with -I/path/to/kernel/include while the rest of the
daemon doesn't know about kernel internals.

That could and perhaps should be fixed, but I think that is
a different issue entirely.

Mike.

--
Cistron Certified Internetwork Expert #1. Think free speech; drink free beer.