Re: [patch?] Re: Do ramdisk exec's map direct to buffer cache?

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 15:15:24 EST

> I'm inclined to mark loopback DANGEROUS because there apparently still
> isn't a maintainer for it. And the next person who suggests using it
> instead of a real filesystem (ramfs, cramfs, JFFS) should be forced to
> actually make it work right first!

Several folks have tried fixing it. The idea of replacing it with a raid
layer equivalent was also kicked around at UKUUG and other places. The theory
being that loopback is better done as a block remapping algorithm at the block
layer, thus killing the double caching problem, sorting out the lack of read
ahead and more