Re: PPC kernel 2.4.0-test5 problem

From: Andreas Tobler (toa@pop.agri.ch)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 05:14:47 EST

S Park wrote:

> Hi I compiled kernel 2.4.0-test5 on PowerMac 7200. It compiled and linked
> all OK.
>
> But when I do a reboot with the new kernel, it doesn't go too far, and just
> freezes. It seems to print sort of diagnostic messages.
>
> On the screen, it prints about 10 lines and freezes. The last line of the
> messages was
>
> arch : exit
>
> Any idea what this might be?

It is a well known problem to me, the 601 CPU doesn't like the 'mftb' call in
arch/ppc/kernel/time.c. Attached a patch which made my 7200 boot again. It is
from Takashi Oe. Don't know if it will go into the main tree. I already asked
Paul M.
But in the meantime you can play again with your 7200.

Good luck

Andreas