Re: Bad SMP race in getblk()

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 14:41:48 EST

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Chris Meadors wrote:

> If one were seeing this race what would the effect be?

I don't think you _can_ trigger it as of now, as all the block stuff is
still run under the kernel lock (we don't use the kernel lock for normal
reads/writes from the page cache, but once we start doing low-level IO and
calling into the filesystems we aquire it because (a) there are many
filesystems and (b) at that point avoiding contention tends to be the
least of our performance worries).

                Linus