Re: [off-topic] ATX-boot after power outage?

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 18:51:25 EST

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Aleksandr Koltsoff wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having the following problem:
>
> an ATX-power equipped server that is supposed to be all the time on, but
> downtime is not critical.
>
> When there is a power outage, the server loses power (which is ok, fsck
> tolerable).
>
> Now, when the power comes back, the server won't boot automatically, but
> it needs to be started by pressing the power-button.
>
> Is there any way of disabling this (default ATX) behaviour so that the
> server will start whenever power is reapplied?
>
> Using an UPS is not the solution. Imagine that the UPS will tell the
> server that "hey, we have no power, please shutdown now". Server
> complies and turns itself off. Now when the power comes back on line,
> the UPS will forward (hmm) that to the server, but the server does not
> know how to start itself.
>
> At one location I was thinking of using Wake-On-Lan since I have a spare
> old AT-powered computer which can (after power is back) send WOL packets
> to the servers. But in some places all the servers/computers are ATX.
>
> So, ideas anyone?

This seems to be a BIOS-controlled "feature". Early Abit BP6 motherboards
would always remain switched off when power was restored; one of the
recent BIOS upgrades added an option to the BIOS setup offering a setting
for the board to power up immediately power is restored. The same should
be true of other boards, I think?

James.