Re: vfat bugfixes

From: Urban Widmark (urban@svenskatest.se)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 05:09:56 EST

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000 7eggert@gmx.de wrote:

> after i found a simple bug in the vfat driver, i decided to fix it.
> i did not know that it would be more than a few lines to change.
> since this is a major change (and i dont have the original kernel
> installed anymore), i will put the tar.gz with the changes on my homepage
> (http://members.tripod.de/x7eggert/vfat-changes.tar.gz).

eh.. Download the source again? then make a diff (described in the
linux-kernel FAQ, http://www.tux.org/lkml).

> while i did these changes, i used kernel 2.2.15.
> since in kernel 2.2.16 the nls-interface has changed,
> i will have to rewrite some parts to use the changed interface.

I can't really comment on the bugs, but have you tested 2.4.0-testX and
seen if that has a problem with this too? If it is maybe you want to fix
that.

> BTW: should the nls-interface be changed to return the number of
> converted bytes? this might save one temporary variable.

I think the interface has a few parameters too many in 2.2, if someone
feels like doing it ... Look at the nls interface in 2.4.0-test5. Oh,
wait, that interface is more different than so. Well, look at it anyway.

> this happened to me while copying files from smbfs (which does not map
> codepages) containing ö (ö) in their name.

No, not yet. If you want to test it I have a nls patch for 2.2.17-pre13
(and various other versions) here:
    http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/index.html
(should re-diff vs pre14 ... eh pre15, and 2.4.0, other versions
 available on request).

/Urban