Re: FW: Crypto

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 12:05:44 EST

Linda Walsh wrote:
> That's because you couldn't distribute *new* copies. I would
> surmise that there was zero effort to recall copies that had been
> downloaded.
>
> I could see that americans couldn't speak or express** coding
> algorithms after a new cryptography ban went into effect, but I
> don't see that books already sold, or programs downloaded or source
> given away would be affected.

The FreeSWAN folks would want to distribute works _derived_ from the
code written by the US citizens.

That would make the new code a product of US citizens and others (even
though the process of deriving the new work would not be done by US
citizens), and therefore still subject to the US/Canada treaty.

> However, it sounds like Canada views has bowed down to the US
> government giving up protections for its own citizens if there has
> been US involvement.

Exactly that.

-- Jamie