Re: Crypto regulations

From: Henry Spencer (henry@spsystems.net)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 20:08:12 EST

H. Peter Anvin writes:
> ...That obviously means, somewhere, there is a Canadian regulation
> which states to what extent Canadian authorities will enforce the
> export regulations imposed by the U.S.

That certainly is the underlying intent, but the government does not want
to formally define Canadian rules in terms of somebody else's. What the
rules say, as best I could figure them out (I wasn't trying hard), is that
*everything* of US origin is subject to Canadian export controls, except
for (numerous) things for which the paperwork is explicitly waived by
subsidiary documents. Same effect, but they don't have to say it out loud.

> Wasn't PGP more hampered by the RSA patent than anything else?

Only within the US, the one place where the export rules were not an issue.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net