Re: Crypto regulations

From: Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 21:10:21 EST

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> PGP was hampered more by itself and its complex archane interface
> more than anything else. RSA couldn't stop it or even slow it down
> (and certainly not outside the US where the RSA algorithm wasn't patented).
> The US government couldn't slow it down once it got outside the US
> borders. The PGP interface was it's own worse enemy.

I'd argue that the lack of standardization/integration was the problem.
MIME sucks, but it's still everywhere. If mailer hooks to PGP were more
universal and transparent, PGP's interface wouldn't have mattered. Receive
key with trusted signature? -> File it. Send a message -> recipient's key
in addressbook? -> automatically encrypt. Otherwise just sign.