Re: advansys 3.2M vs. 3.3A driver

From: Douglas Gilbert (dougg@torque.net)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 21:31:58 EST

Conrad wrote:

> I note that the 2.4 series kernels have version 3.2M of
> the Advansys scsi driver included in the source tree.
>
> The latest driver available on the Advansys (now
> connectcom.net) site is 3.3A.
>
> Is the newer 3.3A driver known to be unstable or
> hazardous in some way? If not, should it be included
> in the 2.4 release?

The long term writer and maintainer of advansys
drivers for Linux has moved onto another job. He
was working on 3.3A and I tested it with mixed
results on the mid lk 2.3 development kernel series.
On reflection the problems I encountered were
probably more attributable to the SCSI subsystem
(then in a state of flux) and kernel instability
than the advansys 3.3A driver. That driver supports
advansys's u3w cards [which don't seem to have
reached the market yet]. I was also told that the
3.3A driver has better (DMA) throughput on wide
cards compared to the 3.3M driver.

So now that things have stabilized I may try the 3.3A
driver again. There is also some work being done
on 3.3B driver.

Getting 3.3A into the kernel would require someone
at advansys (sorry connectcom [what a dreadful name])
pursuing the issue.

Doug Gilbert