Re: Doug Ledford's / RedHat's PIII patches

From: Chris Kloiber (ckloiber@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 23:18:54 EST

lamont@icopyright.com wrote:

> Does anyone know the status on these patches? I see that they've been
> taken out of the latest 2.2.x redhat kernels. Are they completely
> unusable currently, or is it e.g. a problem where some % of the
> motherboards or chipsets out there don't like them and need workarounds?
>
> I'd like to put them on some dual proc PIII/500 ASUS P2B-DSes and Tyan
> Thunderbolts. Anyone know if they're suitable or not?

I am not an expert, but if you are refering to the 2.2.14-5.0 kernel
shipped with Red Hat 6.2, the PIII serial number shutoff code tries to
execute on my Thunderbird class Athlon processor (MSI-6330 motherboard)
and panics the kernel at boot time. I for one am glad that patch was
removed for 2.2.16-3.

Chris Kloiber