Re: DMA failures with UIDE driver (2.4.0 & 2.2.x + hedrick eide)

From: Patrick Michael Kane (modus@pr.es.to)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 09:32:33 EST

* Patrick Michael Kane (modus@pr.es.to) [000802 15:01]:
> Hello!
>
> I have a dual processor ppro server (Intel Providence motherboard) that is
> experience IDE DMA failures when DMA is activated on drives attached to the
> onboard controllers or to a Promise ULTRA/66 controller.
[snip]
> When I enable DMA on the drives (/sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc), and run hdparm
> -t against the drive, I get the following errors:
>
> ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
> hdc: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> hdc: timeout waiting for DMA

I hate to reply to my own post, but I just got a chance to test this against
a stock 2.2.16 kernel, without the UIDE patches, and DMA works fine. I get
good performance (10-11 megabytes/sec) and no timeouts of any sort.

So:

  * Old EIDE driver -- Works Fine
  * New EIDE driver (2.2.x+hedrick patch or 2.4.0testx) -- Fails with the
    above errors

Best,

--
Patrick Michael Kane