enumeration function?

From: Matthew Dharm (mdharm-kernel@one-eyed-alien.net)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 12:07:37 EST

It occurs to me that I could really use some sort of enumeration function
in the linux kernel. That is, a function that I could call which would
give me a unique number for enumerating devices.

Of course, if I could use it, then someone else could probably use it, and
perhaps someone has allready written it!

The function would probably look something like this:

struct enumerate {
  int num;
  struct semaphore lock;
}

int enum(struct enumerate * foo)
{
  volatile val;

  down(foo->lock);
  val = foo->num;
  foo->num++;
  up(foo->lock);

  return val;
}

This function could be implemented much more effeciently in assembly, much
like the atomic_inc() function, but with a return code.

Does such a function allready exist in the linux-kernel?

Matt Dharm

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm@one-eyed-alien.net
Senior Engineer, QCP Inc.                            Work: mdharm@qcpi.com

I could always suspend a few hundred accounts and watch what happens. -- Tanya User Friendly, 7/31/1998