Re: multimounting cdroms ???

From: Andries Brouwer (aeb@veritas.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 09:36:44 EST

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 08:52:46AM -0400, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 11:44:14PM +0200, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> > Probably confusion is minimized if the kernel follows what
> > mount already does.
>
> > /dev/hde5 /mnt/my\040dir ext2 rw 0 0
>
> ugh, please, can octal just die? i'd prefer \0x20 even if it is normally
> an extra character. the only place octal makes sense to me is file
> permissions. i bet an awful lot more people know ascii values in hex
> than in octal (and, yes, i know about man 7 ascii)

1) as you read, mount already uses octal escapes.
In other words, with these octal escapes things just work.
With hex escapes people will have to upgrade their mount.

2) as shown in the part you edited away, mount does not show
these escapes to the user, so it hardly matters how they are constructed.

Andries