2.4 gives 1 minute delay on login.

From: ghislain_leblanc@iname.com
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 16:50:16 EST

Hi, I am using Linux Kernel 2.4.0-test5 (already tried all the test versions) on a system build from scratch with the source codes of everything. I used the 2.4.0 include files. I tried compiling the kernel from my bare homemade system and on my RedHat 6.2 partition. In any of these cases, the problem is the same...

When I type in my username & password, there is a 1 minute delay before login actually accepts my password. The CPU stands mostly idle during this time, meaning the problem probably has something to do with some time outs or delay loops somewhere. If I use 2.2.16 on the SAME barebone system, no problem. Using 2.4.0 on RedHat, no problem.The most interesting fact here is that this problem only happens if I have some network adapters configured with ifconfig, even only loopback will do the thing. By the way, I tried with two different versions of GCC: GCC-2.95.2 and egcs-1.1.2

My network cars is a Vortex/Boomrang from 3con (3C905).
To se how my system is configured: www.linuxfromscratch.com