Re: 2.2.16 SCSI problems?

From: Adrian Baugh (super_calabrese@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 09:10:33 EST

(Re: 2.2.16 SCSI problems)

Someone said: 2.2.16 has SCSI problems
and Alan Cox replied: I'm not aware of any.

(I'm not sure if this is indicative of a 2.2.16 SCSI
problem or not. I recently tried to burn a CD using
2.2.16 having not done so for several kernel
revisions. The CDR is an ATAPI device installed as
master on the second IDE interface (hdc) so I'm using
the ATAPI-SCSI emulation and Generic SCSI code, both
compiled into the kernel rather than modular. I also
have an Adaptec SCSI bus on my mainboard (the
AIC-2951) on which are two IBM deskstar hard drives
and nothing else.
The CDR refused to burn: /var/log/messages indicated
that the kernel was trying to load modules for the
third and fourth IDE interfaces and failing.
Eventually the attempt to write the CD failed with an
error message approximately "command not recognised by
device". I can provide more detail of the error at the
weekend but I'm away from the computer till then.
The odd thing is, it's only burning that seems to be
affected by this. I can mount a pre-written CDR in the
drive as /dev/sr0 and that works fine.
(The software I'm using is Xcdroast; it has worked
fine with previous kernels.)

Regards,

Adrian Baugh.
adrian@atm.ox.ac.uk