Console fix

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 08:08:59 EST

> > > that this is THE ONE CORRECT
> > Could you discuss further on how the X server is broken here? I'm not
> > denying the X server is broken, but I'd like to know in what way it's
> > broken so that it can be fixed.

The bug was discovered. The problem was that the palette was not being set
when going from graphics mode to text mode. Once the X server has set
the video hardware back into VGA text mode the console code must set
the palette then. This was not happening. Linus posted a patch for this
and it will be going into test6.

> Hmm.I'm looking into vgacon and I just cannot get idea why ordering
> of vgacon_switch and vga_set_palette can matter, as vgacon_switch is
> simple memcpy() and vga_set_palette just programs palette... Looking
> at code again... Oops. Hey, James made a bug... Code in console.c
> should read

[snip]

That is what we had before. Linus pointed out the current code in
redraw_screen is correct. Con_switch might change the video mode (fbcon)
which has a impact on how the palette is set. This is true even for
vgacon. You don't want to be setting the color palette via vgacon when
switching back to X. That is also why set_palette is inside the block.
What was causing the problem was we where not setting the palette for vga
text mode when we where switching away from the X server.

Innovation, innovate, and the concept of doing what everyone else did 20
years ago are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. Other
buzzwords, euphemisms, and blatant lies are trademarks of their respective
owners.

James Simmons [jsimmons@linux-fbdev.org] ____/|
fbdev/console/gfx developer \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org =(_)=