Re: Definitions

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 17:28:27 EST

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 08:28:40PM +0100, Adam Sampson wrote:
> > Please could you have another "accident" and add reiserfs, then?
>
> as i understand it, reiserfs (just like all journalling
> filesystems) requires changes to the core kernel code which are
> unacceptable at this point. but my understanding may be flawed.

The journaling filesystems can lock up under heavy VM load.
(Yes, I know you can reboot faster... ;)

The solution requires pinned page reservations by the
journaled filesystems, which requires some VM support.

Also, we need a way of telling the filesystem to flush
out some dirty pages, since with the write ordering
constraints journaling has, the VM subsystem can no
longer just write out any dirty page, but has to rely
on the filesystem's cooperation.

Once the current (minimal intrusion) multiqueue VM is
done, I'll work on getting the necessary support for
the journaling filesystems in.

Don't hold your breath, however. The VM part of the
needed support may be ready in time for 2.4.0, but
that doesn't mean the journaling filesystems themselves
will be added any time soon.

Maybe they'll be added later, when 2.4 is known to be
stable, maybe it'll be added only in the kernel RPMs
shipped by the Linux distributors...

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/