Re: Complaint about recent LINUX_VERSION_CODEs

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 09:37:08 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Indeed, now that LINUX_VERSION_CODE has the value 0x20400 for all
> > kernels over the last few months, it's impossible to write modules that
> > will compile on all of them :-(
>
> Is that really a big deal? Its a test series which will have a stable
> interface once 2.4.0 proper is released.

That was true of the entire 2.3 series ;-)

I bet some people will be running 2.4.0-testX when 2.4.0 is released
because 2.4.0 doesn't work properly for them.

And I bet there will be people who don't manage their own kernels. They
run whatever was put on their machine, and some of them (e.g. here :-)
are running 2.4.0-testX.

The real reason I'm bitching is because I maintain a compat.h file,
similar in spirit to the compat24.h (or whatever it's called) that I
think Richard Gooch maintains. And it works perfectly except within the
2.4.0-test series which is getting _long_ now and looks like it will get
much longer.

> My own pet peeve is ppl avoiding the KERNEL_VERSION() macro when doing
> LINUX_VERSION_CODE tests. Makes each test a bit more readable.

Agreed, KERNEL_VERSION is good. I use it a lot. KERNEL_VERSION_AFTER()
would be better as you can use varargs to accomodate any number of minor
versions ;-)

-- Jamie