Re: Definitions

From: Michael W Zappe (zapman@interlan.net)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 09:24:34 EST

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 04:08:12PM +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <cistron.20000810095048.A25793@homer.interlan.net> you write:
> >Mutt and emacs originally. Basla 0.8 after that.
> >
> >Maybe you guys should just go get a mail reader that
> >can do word wrapping FOR YOU, since doing it myself is
> >a royal pain in the ass since I ususally EDIT my emails
> >before sending them. And have no trouble reading my
> >own mail.
>
> Common courtesy is something that is valuable in every society.
> Even here.
>
> Sending out messages that are hard to read and then expecting
> everybody except you to adjust to that is not what common
> courtesy is. It's egoistic.

I have never, ever had anyone complain before. Now it's a big
hairy issue. And aparently no matter what editor I'm using,
someone starts bitching, and giving sarcastic answers as to
how I'm not following some unspoken law. I have never had a
problem reading continuously flowed text. Apparently it's a
big deal in other parts of the world somehow.

I really don't mind helping other people, and am willing to
practice common courtesy. Unfortunately no-one gives a good
answer to what it is, they just assume you are an idiot if you
don't allready know it. Ahhh, the unspoken elitism of linux
development...

> >Pray tell, what is the "standard" linux mail setup? May
> >I be enlightened to the holy levels that the ubergeeks
> >on the list have achieved.
>
> It's the same as on almost every mailing list on the planet and
> all usenet groups and thas been the case for 20 years or so.
> If you choose to ignore that, fine, but don't be surprised
> if people choose to ignore you as a result.

You never answered my question. What IS the standard? I
have never had this problem before, on ANY list, ever.
But now people seem to be making a bigger deal about the
format of my posts, and the MUA I use than the questions
I'm asking.

And, to be nice, I wrapped it by hand, since all the MUAs
in existance seem to be broken.

Does anyone know of an elisp program/major mode/command to
automatically do proper word wrapping? There seems to be
one for everything else...

        Mike

Michael Zappe <zapman@interlan.net>

Chief Architect, Filesystems
Interlan Communications
111 Corning Drive
Cary, NC 27511

"The sorcerer is a Simple Realist: the world
is real--but then so must consciousness be real
since its effects are so tangible. The dullard
finds even wine tasteless but the sorcerer can be
intoxicated by the mere sight of water."

 --Hakim Bey