Re: Loading initrd over serial line

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@suse.cz)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 17:21:56 EST

Hi!

> > This patch should load initrd over serial line. On r38xx it works for
> > me, but kernel crashes after that and I do not know who to blame. It
> > needs some ifdefs and it needs making some functions public...
> >
> > You'll need program that looks for 'X' and sends block of data to use
> > this.
>
> I think this belongs in the bootloader, not in the kernel. After all,
> the whole point of initrd is to unload these kinds of dependencies
> from the kernel.
>
> I don't know what r38xx means, but if this is an x86 platform, you may
> want to contact me privately and we'll see if we can work out
> something suitable.

r39xx (sorry, I misspelled it) is MIPS platform, originally running
windows CE. Only bootloader that works for me is pbsdboot (i.e. BSD
bootloader), and I'm not able to even compile it (it requires
microsoft tools to compile). Agreed that bootloader should do that,
but bootloader is very hard to touch.
                                                                Pavel

--
I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."