Re: devfs / eth micro-problems

From: Ruth Ivimey-Cook (Ruth.Ivimey-Cook@arm.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 06:09:46 EST

At 04:44 AM 8/10/00, Andries wrote:
>(i) People complain that with devfs compiled into the kernel
>(but not in use) mounting by uuid or label fails.

I have another issue with devfs: I am starting it from boot, but when I
shutdown the shutdown script cannot unmount /dev, and the machine hangs.
Anyone know what the solution is?

(ii) I noticed recently one some machine that the two
>ethernet cards had interchanged names. And indeed,
>if I am not mistaken the 2.4.0-test2 change to eth_setup
>causes the familiar ether=0,0,eth1 boot parameter to
>assign the eth1 name to the first detected card.
>I am inclined to consider this a buglet -
>it is a bit inconvenient if one has to test kernel version
>in the boot scripts.

Might this be the cause of the 3c509 problems I reported a while ago (and
which Donald says a number of other people have reported to him)? If the
ethernet card wasn't being initialised properly, perhaps you would get the
effect I am seeing (no link light, TXs always collide)?

What needs to happen to the driver to adapt to these changes?

Ruth

--

Ruth Ivimey-Cook ruthc@sharra.demon.co.uk Technical Author, ARM Ltd ruth.ivimey-cook@arm.com