Re: kupdate, high CPU usage

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 08:10:51 EST

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Pavel Machek wrote:

>Would it be possible to tell kupdate not to do updates on /dev/hda?

I think we would need to have two dirty lists, one of kupdate, and one of
kflushd. We insert all dirty buffers in the kflushd list and only some
into the kupdate one. Then we should design a user->kernel API to be able
to tell which blockdevice doesn't want kupdate. It would slowdown kupdate
a little bit, I think not noticeable in real life. But I don't think it
worth.

Andrea