Re: eth0: Something Wicked happened

From: A. Hook (ahook@peel.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 12:09:13 EST

> http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
>
> On that webpage there is an errata for the rhine, 000a/0009 would indicate
> a transmit error (Transmit aborted because of excessive collisions). So
> you may want to check the network (cable? switch? duplex setting on the
> switch vs what is autodetected by the card?)

Now that hits home. After reading the above I did a little checking.
We (the company I work for) have an HP switch in right now and we have
been having a lot of problems with packet collisions. I found out about
this because we were having serious problems with lag. I borrowed a
Cisco switch, set the connection to fixed full duplex, and the problems
went away. I had to eventually return the Cisco switch and replace it
with the HP switch, which won't function at fixed full duplex, changed
the connection to fixed half duplex and we have been having problems
again. So I checked the messages logs for the phrase
"Something wicked happened!"
by date. The days we had the Cisco switch in I saw anywhere from 6-10
of these messages. On the days with the HP switch the number of these
messages is anywhere from 300 to over 2000.

Thank you all very much for your help and suggestions.

-anna hook