Re: HFS-formatted CDROMs (was: Re: Linux 2.4 Status)

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 12:05:10 EST

On Fri, Aug 11 2000, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> I think this is a safe assumption, ide-cd works fine with < 2KB block
> size fs. Note that this problem is not restricted to HFS, ext2 with
> < 2KB block size on SCSI CD-ROM will also fail.
>
> Having not heard anyone who complained about reported problems HFS
> filesystems telling me that they have IDE devices, so noted.

ide-cd never had this problem and I just verified with a 512 byte
ext2 fs on a CD-ROM that it works there, but not with sr.

> Next question. Is anyone lined up to fix this?
>
> (Jens, you're listed as the SCSI CDROM driver maintainer in the
> MAINTAINERs file; are you going to be working on getting this fixed, or
> is this a "will not fix" for 2.4?)

Yes, I will fix it. I actually talked to Eric about this some months
back, because the SCSI changes in 2.3 broke the support for < 2KB
fs.

--
* Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
* SuSE Labs