Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Bill Huey (billh@gnuppy.monkey.org)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 18:54:32 EST

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 06:29:33PM -0500, Jesse Pollard wrote:

> The only difficulty I have seen with this is that the Icon (or whatever) has
> to stored multiple times, once for each file. If the thumnail is only 256 bytes
> its not a big problem. If it gets to be 32K/64K... (ie a stream that is a
> program to do something with the file) then it gets bad. really bad. (consider
> having to update all the files that might do that...). A better example would
> be things like audio annotation attached to a data file.

Yes, and one of my favorite things in BeOS too when I associate a specific
player to a file. But that's beside the point, in that this facility is more
general purpose than just adding properties for GUIs systems.

I primarily think of it through an pretty nasty object oriented POV and what
programmers can do with it coming from Hans Reiser unified namespaces (not a terribly
new idea, but badly needed) ideal. It's a legitimate theoryish computer science
pursuit, IMO and something I sorely miss in traditional Unixes.

( /me drops off this thread. ;-) )

bill