Re: Re(2): NTFS-like streams?

From: Mo McKinlay (mmckinlay@gnu.org)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 06:00:10 EST

# 2. When you don't have permissions to change a MacOS file (be it
network
# permissions or simply a read-only flag), guess what?
#
# *You cannot manipulate the custom icon for that file*.
#
# Why would Linux need something different?

I agree. If you want a custom icon that badly, you may as well create a
link (by this I mean desktop link/shortcut, not symbolic/hard
link). Generally, you'd want to do this anyway... I mean, you're not going
to want to navigate to /usr/bin every time you want to run vi... you'll
create a link from somewhere useful (~/Desktop, or whatever), at which
point you have a file that you own/have write access to, and can hence
change the icon.

I'm not going to even *start* on the bonus of being able to associate EAs
with symlinks...because I don't think this will ever happen on this
particular OS.. :)

To respond to the earlier "desktops want to be OSes" thing.. no, desktops
don't want be OSes, but the OS has to provide in some form or another the
the facilities to be able to do the things that users want to be able to
do with the desktop. Unless the OS and the desktop were designed together
(MacOS being the best example), the desktop invariably has perform
not-so-elegant kludges to make things work on the desktop - things which
don't work in nearly the same way on the command-line, because the OS
didn't support that kind of thing from the ground up.

--
Mo McKinlay             Chief Software Architect          inter/open Labs