Re: 2.4.0-test6: Bad VM problems / Memory Leak?

From: egger@suse.de
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 07:39:13 EST

On 12 Aug, Byron Stanoszek wrote:

> Turns out, I was running 2.4.0-test6-pre9 and it appears that the
> memory leak is indeed fixed in the 'final' version of 2.4.0-test6.
> I've been running fine for 2 days now and have not seen any problem
> with the amount of memory free, even after compiling the kernel & GCC
> twice with only 32MB of memory.

 I have seen this problem on my notebook with 128 MB RAM even with
 the final test6. I ran out of memory three times, at one try kswapd
 turned into zombie somewhen. And it seemed to me the system tried
 to swap out anything after a while of normal work although enough
 FREE memory was available. And the shared memory display in top
 and ps was constantly 0. This bug went away with test7-pre1 for me,
 it seems, although I'm not quite sure why, since there seem to be
 no fixes for such a problem. Maybe I just haven't triggered that
 yet...

--

Servus, Daniel