Polling a mutex

From: Ville Voutilainen (vjv@ees2.oulu.fi)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 15:40:52 EST

Hi, I just recently had my first real experiences with
pthreads and as I'm doing a C++ lock-class which needs
to run on linux and nt, I wonder if it's possible to
do a timeout-trylock on a thread, like nt-style
WaitForSingleObject et al.. Is there any support for
this in the kernel? Or any plans to have that sort
of functionality? I know, I know, that behaviour can
be sort of emulated by doing a trylock-sleep-loop
thing and thus it's probably not kinda wanted to
have that sort of stuff supported in kernel. I just
kinda thought that it would be somewhat neat.
Whee, cool, as in 'everything is a file', open()
close() select() and poll() on threads, you know.

-VJV-