Linux 2.2.17pre16 CPU detection wrong

From: Matthew Hawkins (matthew@topic.com.au)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 19:22:46 EST

I have a system with two Celerons. They have always been detected by
previous kernels correctly as Celerons with 128kb cache. 2.2.17pre16
however detects them as Mobile Pentium II's with no cache. Not
surprisingly, performance now bites.

It's not a vanilla 2.2.17pre16, I added Andrea Hedrick's latest IDE
driver (I have a promise card that needs it), NFSv3 support
(Trond/dhiggen patches), and the following patches from Andrea Arcangeli
real_lookup-revalidate-1, 4_min_percent-1, stod_lost-ticks-1,
set_rtc_mss-SMP-race-1, slow-gtod-SMP-race-1.

As as aside, its also missing Marcelo Tosatti's fix for
sync_page_buffers() which is quite old and I'm surprised it hasn't been
added yet. Without this, especially on an SMP system the CPU load goes
nuts constantly for no apparent reason. I haven't added this to the
running kernel only because I forgot.

--
Matt