Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 17:51:52 EST

On 13 Aug 2000, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> viro@math.psu.edu (Alexander Viro) wrote on 13.08.00 in <Pine.GSO.4.10.10008130251590.194-100000@weyl.math.psu.edu>:
>
> > <cough><sputter>
> > man dump
> > man restore
> > tar(1) is a wonderful thing, but for filesystem backups? Hell, no.
>
> <cough><sputter>
>
> What was it viro recently said about abominable software design and what
> to do with it? Tar has problems, but I wouldn't want to touch dump with a
> 10 foot pole.

        Wake me up when tar will reliably handle immutable and append-only,
will you? That's just for ext2 - coming up with UFS examples of suckitude
is _way_ simpler.

        Kai, care to reread the posting I was replying to? Part with the
horror expressed because of the need to use special tools if you want
_all_ _pieces_ _of_ _metadata_ on HFS. Now, could you please show me the
options that would make tar handle all pieces of metadata on ext2 or UFS?
No, it is not needed to deal with any reasonable setup. Except the full
fs backups.