Re: Oops in 2.4.0-test7-pre3

From: Chris Kloiber (ckloiber@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 22:53:02 EST

Bill Maidment wrote:

> Hi
>
> Just updated from 2.4.0-test6 to 2.4.0-test7-pre3 and I consistently get
> the following oops:
> Any ideas? I am running a Pentium II - 266 laptop with a DE-660 PCMCIA
> network card.
>
> Are there any important changes that I may have missed? I couldn't see
> anything special in Documentation/Changes.
>
> Initializing RT netlink socket
> Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000001c

(snip!)

I know no one really wants to hear this, but I get the exact same
message on my Athlon800/Thunderbird system. It doesn't do this with
-test6, but it has other problems then (like failed dependencies all
over the place) so I'm not using that either. I'm not a kernel hacker
myself so I can't really assist in fixing it. Just wanted to say you are
not alone and maybe neither of us made a mistake.

--

Chris Kloiber